finchleyclinic

finchleyclinic

Wild Endive Not Quite Bayberry

Sometimes known as wax myrtle or by the Latin Myrica Cerifera this is just another example of how ancient plants are frequently the source of much modern medicine.

It’s always interesting to imagine the hunter-gathers of a million years ago walking through the forests picking at berries, leaves and other vegetation. Cultivation was non-existent and most people gravitated towards coastlines to give themselves a chance of catching fish and eating molluscs.

It must have become clear through the generations that certain plants were good for particular ailments. At some point they learnt that for digestion problems stripping the bark or eating the root of this plant eased the problem.

And so today we have supplements made from Bayberry. Another plant that they would have found gave relief from the same problem would have been the endive.

Today we call it wild endive but of course in the era we’re imagining everything was wild. It’s only a few thousand years ago that mankind discovered it might be better to try and grow the plants they liked to eat and began cultivation.

When the Romans invaded Britain at the beginning of the first millennium AD they were shocked to see the whole country covered in dense woodland. They became the first in Britain to start clearing these woods.

Our digestive system needs help now and again primarily since in a very short time in human history we have all started eating heavily processed foods. We don’t go on walks in the woods picking and eating wild plants that are far better for us in many cases than tins of food off the supermarket shelf.

Once we get the almost inevitable bloated feeling in the lower gut it’s time to clean the colon and one way is to take this natural supplement or alternatively, introduce some extra boost of good bacteria.

Certain bacteria is responsible for helping to break down food and this is essential in getting the food to the point where all the goodness in nutrients can be absorbed.