finchleyclinic

finchleyclinic

Digestive Enzymes: How Supplements Can Help Boost Digestive Health

We all have digestive enzymes in our gastro intestinal tracts. They are an active part of the digestion of all mammals. Within the body, digestive enzymes play a variety of roles, including breaking down foods into easily processedquantities. However, our diets can mean that we can lose the volume of digestive enzymes required for good health. When this happens, we can start to suffer from a range of issues.

Fortunately, there are supplements knowns as active digestive enzymes. These supplements introduce the enzymes in greater numbers, and may introduce strains that we do not have. They can help address a number of digestive health problems. We are going to consider these in turn, below.

1. Lactose intolerance: if you have lactoseintolerance, then it could be due to lacking the required number or strain of digestive enzymes needed to breakdown lactose. This enzyme is known as lactase. By supplementing with lactase, someone who is intolerant to lactose may be able to reach a point where they can begin to consume dairy products without issue. A word of warning: this will not help people suffering from a lactose allergy, so be sure that you are intolerant, as opposed to allergic.

2. Acid indigestion: by taking active digestive enzymes that contains a number of different strains, you can often help your body to deal with chronic acid indigestion. Many of these enzymes help to break down the sugars that can lead to an increase in the production of stomach acid. Consequently, the body produces less acid and this reduces the incidence of acid indigestion. It will also help to combat acid reflux. It does this by simply reducing the amount of acid, rather than creating an impenetrable barrier – which is what the traditional medicines do.

3. Diarrhoea: digestive enzymes can help to prevent diarrhoea. With diarrhoea, it creates the conditions in the digestive tract that make it difficult for bacteria to flourish and proliferate. Consequently, you are less likely to suffer from bacterial diarrhoea, such as food poisoning.

4. Constipation: for constipation, it helps to break down your food into quantities that are easier to digest. This means that the body is more efficient at digesting food, and so it spends less time in the small and large intestines. The less time it spends there, the less likely you are to become constipated. This is because the body continuously squeezes water out of the food that we eat. If it does this too much, our stools become hard and difficult to pass.

5. Gas: enzymes play another role in digestion: they literally consume the by-products caused by bacteria in the guts. These by-products are things like sulphur gas. Sulphur not only causes gas and bloating, but it causes smelly gas. Flatulence rarely smells nice, but it shouldn’t smell too eggy either. If it does, it’s a sign that there are bacteria producing an overabundance of sulphur. Digestive enzyme supplement can help to address this issue.

For further help and advice, please visit our website.